Translate

Monday, September 7, 2009

An Interesting Path on a Cushman Eagle

This morning, as I sat out on the patio by the pool having a cup of coffee and watching the hummingbirds, I thought about the Labor Day Parade in Henryetta and wondered if it is still the big event it always was when I was a kid. For me and my family, it was one of the most exciting days of the year. Always ended up at the football stadium for fireworks.

Was also thinking about the neighborhood surrounding Roosevelt school. Probably the last time I rode with Jimmy Tarwater on one of his motor scooters was when we were in maybe in 7th grade. By then he had had two or more Cushman Eagles which were quite a step up from the Highlanders he started out riding in 3rd grade. He had a paper route in that part of town around Roosevelt and I rode along with him as he threw the papers one evening. I think it was in 1959, and I am pretty sure it was in the fall of the year when the days get shorter and the long shadows of late afternoon turn quickly to sunset and dusk. It was just getting dark enough that he had to turn on the lights of the Cushman Eagle.

The thing remember about that time was a very interesting path that he took to get from the L-shaped corner by Bobby Lochery's house on Dixie Street and on down toward Louise Street. I never knew the path existed but it gave him a shortcut way to some of his customers whose houses were up on a drive way or partial street just north of Louise. My recollection is a little fuzzy about the details. But for some reason, when I think about an interesting, out of the way, path, that scene often comes to mind.

However, looking at the location on Google Map Street View, it doesn't seem quite as interesting as the scene I have carried in my memory all these years, so I will keep the memory and not the more accurate street scene of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment