Translate

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Ernest Boyd Perkins 1948-2018


Moving to Chelsea

Back in 1960 when I was thirteen years old, my family moved from Henryetta, Oklahoma to Chelsea, Oklahoma.  It was an impressionable age for a kid to start over in a different town and a new school.  Fortunately for me there was someone in Chelsea who helped make the transition a lot smoother than it might otherwise have been.  This is the story of how I met Ernest Boyd Perkins, my original friend in Chelsea.

My Dad, Everett Middleton, was an auto mechanic.  Business had been slow at Progressive Chevrolet in Henryetta where he worked.  One cold winter day in January, 1960, Boyd Perkins, the Chevrolet dealer from Chelsea, stopped by Progressive to visit with mechanics in the shop.  He was looking for a good mechanic and was willing to pay the standard mechanic’s commission rate but would guarantee a minimum of $75.00 a week to the right man.  Not long after Boyd Perkins’ visit, Dad earned a paltry $45.00 pay and began to wonder what the future would hold for him there in Henryetta.  After a couple weeks of mulling over the possibility of moving his family 100 miles away from the long time family center, Dad decided to drive up to Chelsea and find out whether that job was still available.  He was only forty years old but had five children; two older girls, Joyce and Geraldine, off in college at Northeastern in Tahlequah, my fifteen year old sister, Sandra, eight year old Elaine, and me.

On a Saturday morning in late February, Dad, Mom (Berneice), Sandra, Elaine, and I traveled up U.S. Highway 75 to Tulsa and along Route 66 to Claremore in our dark green 1952 Chevrolet Deluxe sedan.  Heading north out of Claremore past Sequoyah and Foyil, the landscape changed to a stark brown prairie bordered on the east and west by leafless gray trees covering craggy hills.  The earlier anticipation and curiosity of visiting this place called Chelsea seemed to dampen as we drove further out into this unfamiliar countryside.  At last we topped that now familiar grade where the two lane road opened up to a four lane highway with a wide center median of grass.  So this was Chelsea!  Not nearly as big as Henryetta (Henryetta was a town of 5,000 population ), Chelsea had a population of about 1,500.  The main highway, Route 66, ran parallel to the Frisco railroad along the east side of the business district.  At the town’s only stop light at 6th Street, we made the left turn onto the main drag heading west over the railroad tracks and two or three blocks to where the Perkins Chevrolet dealership was located on the north side of the street, on the northeast corner of 6th and Vine.

Parking in an angle parking space near the front of the dealership, Dad left us in the car and walked into the front entrance of the place to try and find Boyd Perkins.  He returned a short while later and we headed back down Route 66 toward Henryetta.  Apparently there was not an immediate need for a mechanic at Perkins Chevrolet.  That was a disappointment for Dad but somewhat of a relief for the hometown family.

Later that year, in early June, Mr. Perkins contacted Dad and asked to meet him in Tulsa in a parking lot at 51st and Peoria.  Naturally, Everett would not go there alone.  So around 6:00 PM, “quitting time” at Progressive Chevrolet, Mom, Sandra, Elaine, and I were waiting outside along 3rd Street near Trudgeon, when Dad got off work.  He climbed in behind the wheel of that Chevrolet Deluxe, six cylinder sedan with a two speed powerglide transmission and drove us up the Beeline, U.S. Highway 75, to Tulsa.  It was well past dinner time when we pulled into the parking lot and found Mr. Perkins there sitting alone in a beautiful red and white 1959 Chevrolet Impala four door hardtop sedan.  In what I would come to know as his characteristically grand style, Boyd Perkins climbed out of his car and greeted all of us eloquently, repeating our names, shaking our hands and inviting us to join him in an adjacent cafeteria for dinner on him.  This was indeed a special treat for us as we rarely ate outside our home at 701 West Jefferson Street in Henryetta.  Needless to say, Mr. Perkins was impressed with Dad’s experience and the character of a man who was proud to bring his poorly dressed family along to a job interview.  The job was offered and accepted then and there.

So, for the remainder of that summer, Dad worked in Chelsea, taking a room in the Chelsea Hotel, just south across 6th street from Perkins Chevrolet.  I don’t recall who it was who helped Dad haul his tools to Chelsea.  It was likely my older cousin, Howard Joe Middleton.  But Dad was left there in Chelsea without a car.  Imagine our surprise the following Friday night when a big 1958 Chevrolet with duel headlights pulled into our driveway just after dark.  It was Dad driving a nice used car from the Perkins Chevrolet used car lot.  Again, Mr. Boyd Perkins showed his generosity by initiating this practice which allowed Dad to drive home each weekend to be with the family.  We never knew what sort of cool car he might drive week to week.

  The next morning after he had driven that 1958 Chevy home for the first time, I went out on the dirt driveway to take a closer look at the car parked in the shade of the big elm tree there.  For the first time, I saw the impressive mascot of the Chelsea Green Dragons football team in the form of a sticker on the back window of the vehicle.  A feeling of wonder and inspiration came over me as I looked at that novel logo and imagined what it might be like to be one of them.

In August, the last week before Labor Day Weekend, Dad invited me to return with him to Chelsea on Sunday night.  What a great feeling it was to head north out of Henryetta with Dad.  Two hours later, we arrived in Chelsea to find the streets quiet, practically empty.  His room at the Chelsea Hotel was on the top floor in the southwest corner.  He told me how much he liked that corner room because of the nice breezes that swept across the bed at night when all the windows were open.  Of course the rooms at the Chelsea Hotel were not air conditioned and the bathroom was a shared one down the hall.   Air conditioning was a luxury in those days and we had never had air conditioning at home.  In fact we didn’t have a telephone in our home in Henryetta.  If we needed to make a call we went next door to Aunt Mildred’s house.  And the subject of a telephone would present itself later on in Chelsea as another example of Mr. Perkins’ relationship with my Dad.

That first Monday morning in Chelsea was another seminal moment in my introduction to the culture of the town.  All summer long, Dad had come back to Henryetta with stories of life in Chelsea.  One of his favorite stories to relate concerned having breakfast at Ed South’s Café.  Dad would talk in great detail about watching Mr. South slice off generous portions of smoked ham and flop them onto the grill as he prepared Dad’s favorite ham and eggs with biscuits and gravy.  These accounts had made us all envious of the breakfasts he enjoyed there each morning.  He spoke of the exquisite quality and flavor of the ham, letting us know how much he had savored the meals in this unique cafe.  So it was with a great sense of anticipation, I walked the block and a half along the sidewalk with Dad that morning in late August awaiting the sights and sounds of Ed South’s Café.

The  café and bakery was located in a typical old business building next door to a pool hall.  Inside, the aroma of meats cooking and freshly brewed coffee filled the drab room.  Dad and I found a couple of spots at the counter on tall stools between other customers.  At tables were other patrons, mostly men, some dressed in overalls appearing to be farmers. At another table was a big guy in boots and a western hat whom I imagined to be a rancher or rodeo cowboy.   Behind the counter, wearing a white apron and a paper hat was the Ed South of Dad’s familiar stories, working at the sizzling grill, pressing sausage patties before flipping them over with a large metal spatula.  Eventually Mr. South turned to us and with an unenthusiastic “Good morning, what’ll it be?”, asked for our breakfast order.  Ham and eggs of course, with biscuits and gravy was our predictable response.  Mom had served me coffee for breakfast with plenty of cream and sugar ever since I could remember so naturally I wanted coffee, too.  The food that morning lived up to the billing Dad had promoted for weeks.

The place appeared to serve a multitude of purposes.  Over on the west wall, near an alley side door, were a couple of pinball machines with which I would later become familiar.  And at a counter at the north end of the cluttered room were offered a variety of items for sale, including snacks and cigars.  The latter would also prove to be of some significance during my time in this town.

As was his custom, Dad embarrassed me by introducing me to Mr. South anyone with whom he may have made even the most casual acquaintance over the summer.  It was many years later that I came to understand and appreciate how important it was for him to have a son and to share a close relationship with me.  His father’s sudden death at an early age when Dad was only ten years old left a void that remained always present though never a source for pity or remorse in him.

Full of ham and a true believer in Ed South’s cuisine, I accompanied Dad back up the main street of town past Vandeveer Rexall Drug, Maupin’s Clothing, Lowery’s Furniture, Ben Franklins, Leroy’s Barber Shop, and Milam Petroluem to Perkins Chevrolet.  We entered into a small area that seemed way too small to be a new car showroom.  Instead, the room had the feel of a parts store.  A contoured L-shaped parts counter dominated the room with active parts bins behind it giving the place that familiar and pleasing smell to which I had become accustomed while accompanying Dad on many a late night at the dealership in Henryetta. Colorful brochures and picture displays were situated around the showroom among casual seating.  Of special interest to me were the water fountain, salted peanut and gumball machines.

Suddenly, a sharp voice pierced the silence.  “Everett, is this that boy you’ve been telling us about?”  Shaken from my trance of taking in this new place, I turned and came face to face with Mattie Perkins, an attractive middle aged lady with dark hair and make up to match her energetic voice.  “James Everett, your daddy has told me all about you and your four sisters.  Welcome to Chelsea, son.”  I took her outstretched hand and felt the warmth and strength of a woman of true compassion and character.  I could tell by the way she greeted me and Dad that morning that we were wanted here, that this could be a place to start again.  “I’ll call Ernest Boyd”, she said, “I want you to meet our son. He’s about your age.”

From the back office area came Boyd Perkins with his gallant walk and prominent demeanor, “Well, it’s about time you boys showed up.  We get started early around here young man.”  He put his big hand on my shoulder and walked with Dad and me out to the shop.  It was a classic auto service shop.  New cars were inside being prepared for show as well as cars in stalls apparently being serviced or repaired.  There were two big doors along the west wall of the building and a body repair shop at the back along the alley. 

After a brief tour, Mr Perkins said, “James, I have to get back to my office, but I want you to know how happy we are to have Everett here with us.  In the past two months I have seen what a good man your father is and he is the best mechanic we have had.  Chelsea is a good town.  I think you will like it here.”   

I walked over to where Dad was talking to a couple of men.  As always, he was eager to introduce me.  First was Cletus Coffey.  He was a big friendly guy, a mechanic from Coweta, Oklahoma who had only started work a couple weeks before.   The cool thing about Cletus was that he had a 1938 Chevy that he was restoring and had installed a Chevy V-8 engine in it.  Next up, Dad introduced me to Dewey Layton, the auto body repairman.  Dewey was a very friendly guy, easy to talk to.

Finally, Dad introduced me to Sylvester Riley, a black man, who had worked at the dealership for many years.  Mr. Riley, known to most as Syl, performed many functions including vehicle service, washing, and new car preparation.  His was the only black family in town at that time.  Dad had spoken highly of Sylvester and I could sense that it was very important to Dad that I meet him. During the next six years, I was fortunate to know Mr. Riley, his brother, his son Willard, and a rural community north of Chelsea, affording me the opportunity to appreciate the common truths of humanity and begin my personal journey toward better racial and cultural understanding.

No sooner had I shaken hands with Syl, when a short stocky kid came riding into the shop on a bicycle.  Simultaneously, Mattie Perkins came into the shop and called me over to where she stood with the bicycle guy.  “James”, she said, “I want you to meet Ernest Boyd.  He is 12 years old and will be in the 7th grade this year.  Why don’t you go to the ball park with Ernest Boyd.  He is going to meet some boys there.”  

Ernie and I shook hands.  He had a friendly smile that made me feel at ease with him right away.  He told me that some guys were going to meet at the football field to play some touch football.  School would be starting next week and football practice would start as well.  Everyone was excited about that and wanted to get a head start.  “Here, hop up on my handlebars and I’ll give you a ride to the football field.  It’s not too far.”  Before I could straddle the front wheel, put my feet on the ends of the axle and sit up on the handle bars, there was a loud blast of horn honking from the street beside the shop.  I turned to see a large red 1959 Ford farm truck stopped in the street.  Behind the wheel was a young kid who looked to be about our age.  He was calling to Ernie.  Dangling from his outstretched hand was a pair of football shoes.  “Hey Ernie, I got some new cleats!” he said enthusiastically.  “Oh hey Larry”, Ernie hollered back as he got off the bike and parked it on the kick stand.

I followed Ernie out into the street to where “Larry” sat in the idling truck.  I was impressed by the size of that truck and wondered how this kid could be driving at such a young age.

“I’m on my way to the football field.” He shouted down from the cab.  “Are you going Ernie?”

“Yes, we’ll meet you there.”  Ernie replied.  “Larry, I want you to meet James.  He is moving to town.  He will be in 8th grade.”  “James, this is Larry Delozier.  His dad is a rancher.  They live out on Highway 28 north of town”.  Larry reached down from the cab and shook my outstretched hand.  “It’s nice to meet you James.  Are you going out for football?” 

“Yeah, I think so” I replied. 

“Ok”, Larry said, “See you guys down there”, as he drove away in the truck waving and looking like he had been driving for years.

Through the remaining years of my life, Ernie Perkins was an important character in memories of all things Chelsea; all things involving cars, motorcycles, beer, and our shared family and girlfriend experiences.  All through junior high and high school, occasional visits as adults in Tulsa and his home place in Liberty Mounds we considered ourselves close and lasting friends.  We didn’t see each often but when we did it was as if it had only been a week or so since the last meeting.  Our last talk was by phone last year.  We talked until the battery died on one phone then connected on another phone and ran that battery down.  So much to talk about; so many memories of Chelsea in the 1960s.

And so it was with sadness that I read today that Ernie had passed away yesterday.  He will live on in my memory.

James Middleton
April 11, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment