Translate

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Margie West Coleman: Momma’s Friend

Margie and Momma met in the small rural school at Bryant, Oklahoma and found a lasting friendship which would span across all the years of their lives.  In each other they must have seen glimpses of their own spirit and  potential.
 
Margie beamed with personality and inner strength.  Berneice had sparkling eyes and a sharp poetic wit.  Together they shared classrooms, songs, poems, and mischief.   Both proved to be very bright students as well.  Although poverty and an unfortunate home life took Berneice out of school after 8th grade, their warm community friendship flourished as they grew. And as they matured, each found a loving husband and raised healthy children, in the nearby town of Henryetta, living as neighbors for many years.

Eventually, work took Berneice and her family miles away.  But the miles were no barrier to this friendship or their interest in one another’s lives.  Through frequent exchange of letters, cards, and occasional visits back home Berneice kept up-to-date with Margie.

As the years and their ages advanced, their meetings became most common around funerals for other friends and relatives.  Berneice maintained close ties to her home community, traveling there often to visit and to grieve.

When Margie’s husband Alvin passed away at an early age, Berneice and husband Everett attended the funeral service and were humbled by the overflowing throng of mourners in attendance.
When Everett passed away, there was Margie attending the service and offering warm hugs for Berneice, her adult children, and grandchildren.

Margie’s occasional phone calls to widow Berneice over the following years were a welcome and comforting experience.  Eventually Berneice’s hearing loss and dementia made the phone calls impossible.  I was there during the last call, gently taking the phone from Momma’s hand and thanking Margie for the call.  By her sweet thoughts and warm wishes I knew Margie understood this would be her last call to Berneice.

Finally, Berneice passed away and their earthly friendship came to a close.  What a beautiful feeling it was when Margie sought me out in the crowd at the funeral home before Momma’s service began.  Her wonderful smile and loving presence will always remain an important memory in honor of both their lives.  Their connection to each other never lost its importance.

And now Margie’s time in Henryetta has come to an end.  I know there will be many who will attend her funeral service and who will recall similar relationships and kindness shared with Margie.  Hers was an exceptional life.  I am proud to have known her through the eyes and the memories of my Momma, Berneice Childs Middleton.

James Middleton
January 11, 2014

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I think my mother taught at Bryant in the late j1930s before she married my dad. Her name was Hazel Costner then. I wish I had made a timeline of her life when she was here to tell me. I wonder if your mother was a student at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,

    Your mother probably taught Margie West but maybe not my mother, Berneice Childs. Mom probably didn't attend school after 1936. Margie may have completed 11th grade at Bryant in 1939 but probably didn't graduate although she was a very good student. My older sisters are more familiar with her than I am.

    My older Middleton cousins in Henryetta were my double cousins and we were next door neighbors along south 7th Street. Their names were Joe, Johnny, and Robert. Joe graduated in 1959, Johnny in 1961, and Robert in 1964. I graduated from Chelsea High School in 1965. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete